1 July 2008

Balle, balle....it's Dahi Bhalle with Date-Tamarind Chutney

Dahi bhalle or dahi wadas are always the best item on any menu. Soft lentil dumplings covered with creamy yoghurt and sprinkled with spices, these beauties are served with lunch or dinner or even for brunch! The wadas freeze well, so one can make large batches and freeze them in airtight containers or ziploc bags. They also form a good base for chaats like Delhi chaat or Jaipuri chaat.


You'll need:

1 cup urad dal
1/2 inch piece ginger
2 green chillies
Oil for frying
Salt/sugar to taste
Whipped yoghurt

Jeera powder
Red chilli powder
Coriander leaves for garnish

Soak the urad dal for 2-3 hours in plenty of water. Drain and grind with ginger and chillies to a fine batter using very little water. Add salt and whip with hands till fluffy. Heat oil in a pan and drop small lemon sized balls of the batter. Fry on medium flame till golden brown. Remove on to paper towels and cool. Freeze till needed.

Variation: you can add 1/4 cup channa dal to the soaked urad dal for softer wadas.


Before serving, soak the wadas in hot water for 10 minutes to make them soft and moist. This also removes the excess oil from the wadas. Squeeze the wadas slightly (you may flatten them if you like) and place them on the serving bowl. Beat the yoghurt with salt/sugar and pour over the wadas. Sprinkle red chilli powder, jeera powder and coriander leaves over it. Chill the wadas for 10-15 minutes. Just before serving, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and date-tamarind chutney.


For date-tamarind chutney:

250 gms dates
250gms jaggery
100gms tamarind
2 tbsp jeera powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
a pinch of garam masala powder
1 heaped tsp black salt
salt to taste

Pressure cook the tamarind, dates and jaggery for 2 whistles. Cool, grind and seive the mixture. Add the seasonings, adjust consistency and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring continuously. Cool completely and refridgerate in sterilized glass jars.

This recipe makes chutney on a large scale - the chutney keep well refridgerated. You can cut down the measurements to make a small quantity.
Dahi-bhalle with date-tamarind chutney is my entry to Siri's Frozen Yoghurt event and Sig's JFI-Tamarind - just made it!!

24 comments:

Shah cooks said...

i didn't know u could freeze vadas.do u microwave them while defrosting or use a toaster oven?

FH said...

YUM! I love Mosaruvade as we call it. My vadas are not that soft as in the restaurant. I will take the chana dal tip and make it next time. Mixers are not good for grinding either but I don't have choice!:D
Tamarind chutney looks delicious.

J said...


Mallugirl - They will keep well in the fridge for 2 weeks. If frozen soak them in hot water for longer, say half an hour and they work fine.

Asha - I'm surprised you say this. I sometimes soak the wadas only for half an hour or so and grind them in the mixer, they turn out really soft. Try adding salt and grinding without water, they will be fantastic and don't soak up much oil.

bha said...

I have never frozen the wadas, but just chilled them before serving......nice chutney

notyet100 said...

wadas look yummy...

FH said...

Soak just for half an hour? I do soak for 2 hrs or more, no wonder!:D
Also, I have to add a bit water to grind because I only soak small amount at a time. If I can freeze those, I could soak more dal which will be easier to grind in the mixer without water.
Thanks J, I will try next time, Arvind LOVES vadas with sambhar!:))

Anonymous said...

delicious looking vadas - nice idea of freezin the vadas for quick treats :)

J said...


Bhags - I too chill them before serving. But I freeze fried wadas before I have guests -saves time.

Notyet100 - Thanks

Asha - I'll mail you :)

Skribles - Precisely!

Kalai said...

They look so pretty, Jyostna! Beautiful plate for both events! :)

sra said...

I made these just once and they came out like a dream! What did you do with the 'gongura'?

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, my gosh, I never heard of dahi bhalle, but I am smitten!

Madhavi said...

Wada looks awesome!!!

Sig said...

Balle balle... that is going to make anyone sing... :) Delicious chutney Jyo... thank you for this entry!

J said...


Kalai, Madhavi - Thanks girls!

Sra - Gongura...keep guessing :)

Susan - Well, the dahi-bhalle are blushing!

Sig - :) welcome !

Anonymous said...

Thank u so much for the wonderful chutney recipe. I have been searching for a while for this recipe. I used to buy readymade tamarind chutney. Now i can definitely make this at homw.

Bhawana said...

just looking at them m feeling homesick :(. This is one of my favourite. loved it. want to it immediately. great.

Swati said...

Oh these are my favorite to..You will laugh when I tell u that I also love the pani mein bhigoye hue..Am crazy about them..yours look awesome!!

Mansi said...

one of my favorite snacks! oh, now I miss my mom's dahi-vadas:)

J said...


Nithu - Try the chutney and hope you like it! :)

Bhawana and Mansi - Oops, I made you girls homesick?! Now you must make some!

Swati - Pani mein bhigoye huey?????!!!!!! OMG!!! :D

Mandira said...

wow that looks delicious... freezing vadas, I had no idea! I have to try it now... thanks for a great recipe!

Cynthia said...

I have to try that chutney.

J said...


Mandira - Thy stay well for 2 weeks in the fridge in ziploc bags too.

Cynthia - Oh, the chutney is delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, this looks so delicious! How cruel of you to taunt me with such wonderful pictures! The chutney sounds delish too. I make a similar tamarind chutney. I have pictures on my blog if you'd like to look: http://mangosoup.blogspot.com/2009/08/tamarind-and-raisin-chutney.html

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!